Sunday 18 July 2010

Swedish Summer Tans

As the summer continues, I've begun to notice that everyone is bronzed. Men, woman, children, the elderly, everyone has taken on a rich mahogany colour. The weather in July so far has been pretty glorious, the sun has shone and Sweden has basked in 25 - 30c temperatures. I've never seen anything like it, it seems everyone in this nation is a sun lover.

I must admit I'm not someone who actively goes out to sit in the sunshine. A combination of growing up in the middle east, where my father worked as an engineer when the oil money poured in during the early eighties, and an inability to sit still too long, means this isn't an activity I'm too bothered about doing. Even so, I have managed to get quite a tan (for me anyway) during the last month. This is however nothing to most of the people I observe out and about in town. It's also in stark contrast to the UK, where we get a few scattered days here and there of nice summer weather. During this time you normally see two colours: pale and pasty, or parboiled lobster red.

Interestingly, despite this rampant sun worshipping, the rate of skin cancer isn't that high, but it is rising. Unsurprisingly, there are more reported cases down south than in the north of the country, and Skåne has the most reported cases in the data collected from 1970 to 2005.

No comments:

Post a Comment