Tuesday 31 August 2010

Let's start with a confession: this week, I'm feeling pretty negative and deeply frustrated with my ongoing job hunt here in Sweden. It all feels very difficult, and at the moment I'm struggling to see how I can catch a break. I also have a fear that I'm going to end up working in a mcJob waiting tables, washing up, or that sort of thing. Quite a dent to the ego really.

My last visit with the Jobcoach was a big struggle for me, I felt I was biting my tongue for most of the session. Pretty much all of the advice that I was given seemed pretty facile and betrayed how little I feel my coach actually knows about the industry I work in. At least she picked up how irritated and frustrated I felt in the session. Then again I have always been terrible at hiding my body language and emotions.

Yes, I said, I know being frustrated and negative isn't helpful, but it is a fairly common part of the unemployment experience. It's easy to give advice like that from the comfort of a full time position. Had she ever been through being out of work?

Her next great plan for me to find work is to fire my CV at 'international' companies in Malmö / Lund and in Copenhagen. I struggled not to groan at the suggestion (see I had already adopted a positive attitude!) straight out of a 'how to find a job in ten easy steps' book.

Yes, it could work, but frankly it's highly unlikely as the labour market just doesn't, sadly, work that way any more. Surely working for a recruitment agency, those despicable middlemen and labour market pimps, she'd know that? But how do I know this, well I used to hire staff and have worked in quite a few companies over the years. Companies by and large hire based on having a vacancy. At that point they'll advertise (normally on job websites) and / or use a recruitment company to produce a short-list of suitable candidates. That short list (including internal candidates) is then passed on the person who has a vacancy in their team. The other problem is that most large 'international' companies also allow you to log your CV on an HR database. At what point a search for matches against suitable positions is done (if at all) is anyone's guess. The days of being able to make sure your CV lands on the desk of Mr. John Smith (or perhaps in this case Jan Johansson) are long gone.

So it seems like an exercise in utter futility to me. But wait, you may counter, surely there's nothing to be lost? Well, yes, if you're an optimist, but then again I'm a pessimist and regrettably a cynic too. At least a rejection from an actual job is some indication that you were at least considered.

In other news I've applied for a SAS (Svenska som andra språk) course. It starts in October, and I pray I get a place on it. At least being a student gives you the feeling your achieving something and some structure to your existence.

3 comments:

  1. First of all, you are scaring me. Please don't tell me I'm doomed!

    Maybe you've already done this/thought of this/I really hope I'm not stating the obvious, but have you thought about joining a common interest or expat group where you might be able to network? I just joined the American Women's Club in Malmo. I wasn't sure what it would be like, but I went to my first meeting last night, and one of the women there offered to pass my resume along in her company, which is one of those big international companies in Lund (Axis Communications). Who knows if it will work out, but it's better than nothing and definitely closer to having a personal advocate than I was before. Maybe you can find a similar networking group in Malmo, or even join the AWC. I know it's not limited to women or to Americans, so if you don't find a good match, it might be worth checking out.

    One last idea, which might seem kind of crazy... one of my friends got a job in publishing in the US by buying Facebook ads targeted at people employed in publishing in New York City. How desperate are you? Willing to take a gamble and buy some ads? I haven't gotten there yet (and I definitely need to start studying Swedish for real), but maybe the time for "so crazy it just might work" is now.

    GOOD LUCK!!
    Kate from www.transatlanticsketches.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the suggestions :)

    A lot of people on the local.se expat forum say a similar thing, find contacts and network. My job coach and I discussed it last session as well.

    I actually tried to do something similar when I was looking for a job over here whilst still working in London.

    I joined a organisation of software developers based in the öresund area. Anyway, I mentioned I was looking for work, and two people offered to look at my CV. After a few emails, one of them offered to meet me next time I was in Malmö at his office.

    What I thought was a informal chat about the labour market in our industry over a cup of coffee turned out to be a full interview. As I was totally unprepared ( I didn't even know which company he worked for until he gave me the address the day before) it was a total car crash of an interview. Incidentally the first question was "so what do you know about our company". Whether or not something got lost in translation or it was some weird cultural difference, it was fairly toe curlingly awful. Out of embarrassment I never actually attended a meeting as such (probably would have been in Swedish / Danish) anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YIKES. That's awful. Good to know... although I'm sorry it came at your expense... that when people invite you to "chat" it just might be a job interview.

    ReplyDelete