Monday 1 February 2010

Geek aids for learning

I've been playing around with a couple on nice applications to help me learn my vocabulary. One is a flashcards website and an iphone app called mental case, the other is an application which you normally use to create podcasts called audacity.

I've been using the flashcards to learn vocabulary on the bus. I've been creating them using flashcardexchange

It's a nice free site which allows you to choose if you want to make your cards public or keep them private. Once you've created your cardset (what they call a group of questions) you can create tags which will help categorise the cards.

You can also pay a small fee (about $20 USD) for extra features (exporting / importing), but so far a free account has given me everything I need.

On the whole the site is very good, my only gripe is that the help and documentation could do with some work. The support is excellent though, I raised a query as I was having trouble finding my flashcards using mental case on my iphone and the developer and site owner emailed me a few hours later with a set of instructions.

Here's one of my flashcard sets with vocab from my second week:

I've also been using audacity a podcasting software to create mp3 files I listen to whilst waiting for the bus. It's very user friendly, all you really have to do is record and edit. It's very well documented so within about 30 mins I could edit what I'd recorded and even add music so each file had a little opening jingle which I shamelessly lifted from an arcade fire track. The content itself wasn't tricky, it's just me saying English words, leaving a pause and then saying the Swedish word, a kind of vocab call and response. It's an easy way to take it in and I feel it's working well.

Audacity

Here's a couple of how to's I found helpful on youtube:

General Introduction
Removing Vocals from a mp3

No comments:

Post a Comment