Monday 1 February 2010

SFI snakes and ladders



I've got a bit behind with updating the blog last week, I'll try and get up to date this week.

I suppose the biggest bit of news is my abortive move up to the intensive class which took place today. Abortive because it became clear to me after about ten minutes in the new class that I was in the wrong place.

First impressions count a lot in life and for me they were all terrible. The teacher was all over the place, she didn't have control over the class, there were two or three other conversations going on in the room, and two or three pupils who seemed to like the sound of their own voices a little too much and were a bit disruptive.

It didn't help that there were too few seats in the room either.

I felt immediately out of place and totally adrift. I realized almost immediately that the class wasn't going to work for me. This was then followed with a grammar exercise that was explained very briefly and frankly by that stage I'd already pulled down the mental shutters. We moved to another larger room, but by that stage I was just waiting for the class to finish so I could talk to the other teacher to tell her I didn't want to be on the intensive course and would rejoin the C course. She tried to convince me to sit in for the lesson, but I told her firmly but politely that it was important that I looked out for my education and that I feel comfortable and that I didn't in the intensive course.

I'd realised that I got lucky with my C course teacher, who is excellent, and even if the course is a bit slower and it takes me a bit longer to clear the D exam, I think it'll be worth it in the long run.

1 comment:

  1. Like your attiude. I did the same thing. Jumped up a class then pulled back when I realised this wasn't about passing the course as soon as possible, rather about learning the language to save my life. Good move.

    ReplyDelete