Wednesday 24 March 2010

Språkverket / Vegas here we come

Last Friday we had a part wake, part celebration on our SFI course. During our normal break at 0930 tea, coffee and cakes, key ingredients for a good fika, were consumed. Many, many pictures were also taken. We also presented our teacher, who has made a major difference to our language skills in the short time she's taught us, with a number of gifts. During my time here so far, I have often reflected on how people working in education and medicine have such worthwhile and meaningful jobs and the difference they make to other people's lives. It also makes me think about how irrelevant and unfulfilling my chosen occupation can be. Perhaps I'll rant about that another day though.

The Rektor decided that due to the sheer number of people waiting for a place on a course at Komvux Södervarn he had to reassign our teacher. For us it meant that we'd be placed into the Spåkverket system.

This system comprises of three classes, somewhat like a home room, where you have a teacher who monitors your learning and is your guide. Each Monday you pick the lessons you want to attend for the week. The idea is you take responsibility for your own study, and with your teacher's advice construct a syllabus to take you onwards to the next exam.

The student population is mixed, some are studying for the C course, others the D. This week has been a bit of a false start, as I've only been able to attend one day (I had an interview on Tuesday), Wednesday is our day off, and today our home group teacher is off on holiday. Luckily next week the newly transferred students are on holiday too, as the existing students will individually meet with their home room teacher and discuss their progress. This is very convenient for me as we're off to Las Vegas for nine days tomorrow evening (via London first), for my Brother's wedding.

It should be an interesting trip, both my girlfriend and I are curious to see quite how tacky it really is. We're staying at the golden nugget hotel:

I'm particularly intrigued by the swimming pool which has a shark tank and a water slide tube that passes through the middle of it. Needless to say I've packed my trunks, and hope the weather is warm enough (it is March there after all, estimates are around 20c) or the pool is heated at this time of year.

We're staying overnight in London at my apartment both on the way out and on the homeward leg, mainly because I couldn't find an american airline which wasn't either ridiculously expensive or involved many changes. It'll also give me the opportunity to pick up my post from my apartment in London and catch up with a few friends too.

No comments:

Post a Comment